The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh will host its Womxn Leading UW Oshkosh Conference, formerly known as the Titan LeadHERship Conference, March 4-5 at Reeve Memorial Union on the Oshkosh campus.
The event, which is open to students from all three campuses, is designed to work to close the gender leadership gap by inspiring female students to actively pursue leadership positions.
Her new name features the spelling “womxn”, with an x replacing the e, as an invitation to pause and reflect on where, historically, women have been excluded from conversations about women’s rights and issues. . It is a call to our university community to commit to expanding collective inclusion efforts as we move towards gender equity.
The two-day event begins March 4 with a networking night in room 202 at the Reeve Union. The 6-8 p.m. gathering is designed to build networking skills and share first-person networking stories of professional women.
March 5 is organized as a full day to develop leadership skills through a keynote, student leader panel, breakout sessions, and action plan. (The full conference schedule is available below.)
The keynote speaker is TR Williams, assistant assistant secretary of the Wisconsin Department of Health Services and former president of the Wisconsin Women’s Network. A native of Milwaukee, Williams earned a degree in political science and African studies from Vassar College in New York and studied law at UW-Madison.
Williams’ legal career includes practicing family law at the Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee Inc., as an Assistant State Public Defender at the Milwaukee Trial Office, and as a bilingual Spanish family law attorney. and in criminal defense at Centro Legal.
Williams has used her educational and professional experiences outside of the formal practice of law to hold positions in Milwaukee Public Schools, the Wisconsin Primary Health Care Association, and in the office of the Governor of Wisconsin. She was appointed Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Wisconsin Department of Health Services in 2021.
The registration deadline for the conference is February 25. Students can register online at https://bit.ly/womxnleadinguwo22.
The Womxn Leading UWO Conference is sponsored by Reeve Union, the Women’s Center, AAUW Oshkosh, the Pepsi Fund, and Career and Professional Development.
For questions or more information, email [email protected]
Womxn Leading UWO Conference Schedule
Friday, March 4 (Reeve Union, room 202)
- 6-6:15 p.m.: Registration
- 6:15-6:20 p.m.: Opening and reception
- 6:20 p.m. to 6:50 p.m.: Networking stories and advice from professional women
- 6:50 to 7:30 p.m.: Design your leadership activity
- 7:30-7:55 p.m.: Small group networking
- 7:55 p.m.-8 p.m.: Closing
Saturday, March 5 (Reeve Union, room 227)
- 8h30-9h: Registration
- 9:00-9:30 am: Opening and welcome of Damira Grady, Associate Vice-Chancellor of Academic Support for Inclusive Excellence and Head of Academic Diversity, and Erin Grisham, Vice-Chancellor of Student Affairs
- 9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.: Keynote Address: TR Williams, Deputy Assistant Secretary, Wisconsin Department of Health Services and Past President, Wisconsin Women’s Network
- 10:15-10:30 a.m.: Energizing activity
- 10:30-10:40 a.m.: Transition and Break
- 10:40-12:10: Breakout session A (facilitators: Alyssa Reyes Bolante, Jennifer Buchholz, Damira Grady and Carmen Hetzel)
- 12:10 p.m. to 1 p.m.: Lunch and involvement! : Round table of Womxn student leaders on campus
- 1:00-2:30 p.m.: Breakout Session B (Facilitators: Teysha Bowser, Jennifer Buchholz, Heidi Nicholls and Maddie Wiles)
- 2:30-2:40 p.m.: Transition and Break
- 2:40-3:00 p.m.: Reflection, Closing and Evaluations
- 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.: Optional social time/networking/debriefing