Seven benefits worth up to £689 you can claim with a mental health condition


IF you are living with a mental health issue, including depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder, you may be eligible for financial assistance.

You could be missing hundreds each month if you have a mental health condition that affects your quality of life.


There are a number of benefit calculators online to help you check if you are eligible for additional help.

People with mental health issues could get money through Universal Credit, Personal Independence Payment, Employment and Support Allowance, Statutory Sick Pay, Tax Reduction housing and attendance allowance.

What benefit you are entitled to and how much you can claim depends on your state and situation, but there are many out there, so it’s worth checking.

The government recently introduced a new benefits checker tool that helps people find the financial support they need, like Universal Credit.

The new benefit checker tool is free on the website and you only need to answer a few questions.

New tool shows help you can get, including Universal Credit and Child Benefit
New Universal Credit online tool lets you know if you're eligible

Here is a comprehensive overview of the benefits you may be entitled to if your mental health is affecting your daily quality of life.

It is important to remember that the type of mental health problem and its severity will affect the amount you can get.

Universal Credit

  • Amount: Up to £689.19 per month

Universal Credit is a payment to help cover your living expenses. It is paid monthly.

To claim you must:

  • Live in the UK.
  • Be 18 or older (there are some exceptions if you are between 16 and 17).
  • Be under the state retirement age.
  • Have £16,000 or less in money, savings and investments.

If you have a health condition that affects your ability to work, you can get extra money for Universal Credit.

As standard, if you are single and aged 25+, you will receive £334.91 per month.

If you also have a disability or mental health condition, you may be able to claim an additional £354.28 per month on top of your standard payment.

You can apply for Universal Credit online. You can also call the Universal Credit Helpline on 0800 328 5644.

Personal independent payment

  • Amount: Up to £92.40 per week

The Personal Independence Payment (PIP) provides money to people who need daily assistance due to a long-term illness, disability or mental health problem.

You can get PIP even if you work, have savings, or get most other benefits.

You could get between £61.85 and £92.40 to help with everyday life.

Those with certain mobility issues can also claim an additional sum worth between £24.45 and £64.50 per week.

Before applying for the Personal Independence Payment (PIP), check if you are eligible. We’ve also put together a handy benefits explainer.

To claim the PIP, you must first place a call. The new PIP complaints line can be reached on 0800 917 2222.

You will then receive a form that asks you about your condition. Complete and return the form.

You might need to have an appraisal if more information is needed.

Employment and Support Allowance

  • Amount: Up to £117.60 per week

You can apply for Employment and Support Benefit (ESA) if you have a disability or mental health condition that affects your ability to work.

ESA offers you:

  • Money to help cover living expenses if you cannot work.
  • Support to return to work if you are able.

If your mental health makes you too ill to work, you may be able to apply for the ESA.

There are two ESA groups. group one or those who may be able to work in the future will receive £91.65 per week.

Those in group two will have a serious mental health issue which can make labor extremely difficult. People in this group will receive £117.60 per week.

You may be able to get this money as well as Universal Credit.

You can request a new ESA style from the UK government website.

To apply by phone, call 0800 328 5644 and choose the third option.

statutory sickness benefit

You can get £99.35 a week of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you are too sick to work. It is paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks.

This means you could get up to £2,781.80 over a 28 week period if you are too sick to work.

Tax and social contributions are also deducted from this amount.

To be eligible for the SSP, you must:

  • qualify as an employee.
  • Earn an average of at least £123 per week.
  • Have been sick for at least 4 consecutive days (including days off).

You must notify your employer if you are absent for more than 7 consecutive days (including non-working days).

To claim the SSP, notify your employer before the deadline. Check with your employer how you should tell them.

Residence tax reduction

  • Amount: Reduces your bill by up to 100%

Those with severe learning difficulties or mental impairments will be “ignored” from paying council tax.

You will usually need to claim other benefits such as Universal Credit, before you can initiate a successful council tax reduction claim.

They will need a medical certificate, which should be free. The certificate should generally state when their mental health condition began.

Each local authority has a website and a contact telephone number. Check with your council to see what they offer and how to apply.

Attendance allowance

  • Amount: up to £92 per week

Attendance allowance helps to cover additional costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to look after you.

What you get will depend on your situation and you will need to be of legal retirement age to be eligible for this benefit.

You will get between £61.85 and £92.40 a week if you are physically or mentally disabled.

Applying for Attendance Allowance can also increase the amount you receive through other benefits.

You could get extra money if you apply for a pension credit, housing allowance or council tax reduction if you are already receiving care allowance.

Use the Attendance Allowance Application Form to apply by mail. The form comes with notes telling you how to complete it. You do not need a postal code or a stamp.

I'm Trolled to Take a Shower Once a Week - But Life's Too Short to Do It Every Day
Mystery as double yellow parking lines suddenly appear - confusing residents

Send the completed form to: Freepost DWP Attendance Allowance

Care allowance can also be backdated to the date of your application. This is usually the date you receive your form or the date you call the information line.


Comments are closed.